Download this app to your desktop
• Contains more than 600,000 words, phrases, and definitions, with coverage of language from the entire English-speaking world, from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and the Caribbean
• Fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings based on the ongoing research programme of Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus
• Includes all the vocabulary current in general English from 1700 to the present day, as well as earlier major literary works, including Shakespeare, Milton's poetry, the Authorized Version of the Bible, and Spenser's Faerie Queene
• Excellent coverage of all types of English encompassing slang, dialect words, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words
• Over 80,000 quotations illustrating words in use throughout the centuries and thousands of newly discovered antedatings based on the ongoing research for the OED
• A never-before-published, introductory essay by the eminent language commentator David Crystal on the History of English provides a stimulating insight into the development of the English language
Translate words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words, the latest edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary allows the general reader access to an unparalleled level of scholarship, as well as being an essential tool for academics and researchers.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for, including:
helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
allows you to search within compound words and phrases
• Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic
to correct word spelling, as well as
('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
• Use our
when you don't know how an entry is spelled.
Tap to Translate entries in other apps
word definitions via installed apps on your device
• Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies the way you see fit the 'Favorites' option allows you to create custom folders with lists of words from the vast library of entries
• ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
• Learn a new word every day with our ‘Word of the day’ option
• Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
by purchasing the full version:
- look up words without an internet connection
• Premium Support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues